On The Road Again – Willie Nelson and Family
Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey! Willie Nelson and Family made some serious waves at the Jersey Shore on September 2, also bringing The Tangiers Blues Band down from NYC as their opener.
Willie Nelson took the stage just as the sun was setting with a bright red sky behind him and The Family Band. They opened with Whiskey River and then went right into “Still Is Still Moving To Me.” Willie and The Family Band Defiantly brought it to Asbury Park this weekend with this sold-out show. There were fans even watching and listening from the boardwalk and beach.
The vibe was great during the show – we had the sun setting and Willie in front of us, and the boardwalk and ocean behind us. It was the perfect setting for a concert on a cool summer night. Fans of all ages were singing along. Highlights of Willie’s set were “Good Hearted Woman” (a Waylon Jennings song), “On The Road Again,” and “I’ll Fly Away” (featuring Danny Clinch, yes that Danny Clinch, the world-renowned music photographer and director). Clinch also joined Willie and his band onstage, dueting with Willie’s own “harmonica shaman” Mickey Raphael, to close out Willie’s set (see video clip below to be posted shortly).
See full photo galleries below.
The Tangiers Blues Band (frontman and lead singer simply known as KING, plus Chris Scianni, Danny Clinch, Dave Sellar, Peter Levin, and Diego Voglino), kicked off the night with a slick blues riff by guitarist Scianni on his vintage 1954 Blackguard Telecaster. This riff quickly turned into a stellar blues version of “Waitin’ For The Man” (The Velvet Underground), which became clear when lead singer KING came in with the first verse. Their set would have cured anyone’s need for soulful blues, even bringing out legendary harmonica player Mickey Raphael from Willie Nelson and Family to jam for a few tunes.
Tangiers closed their set with an amazing cover of The Beastie Boys “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!).” When their badass lead, KING, dressed to the nines in a three-piece suit, took off his top hat and revealed he has hair as long as Willie Nelson’s, he began to head-bang to the song before going right back into the last verse, making the crowd really come alive. You can listen and download some of their songs including “Fight For Your Right” and “Life During Wartime Blues” at https://www.reverbnation.com/tangiersbluesband.
Fans are already saying that they hope Willie comes back next summer to play another amazing Summer Stage Concert. Catch Willie on tour this fall, he has dates posted until November at http://willienelson.com/tour.
Willie Nelson – at the Stone Pony Summer Stage, Asbury Park, NJ, 09-02-16
1. Whiskey River
2. Still Is Still Moving to Me
3. Beer for My Horses (Toby Keith cover)
4. Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys (Ed Bruce cover)
5. Good Hearted Woman (Waylon Jennings cover)
6. Funny How Time Slips Away / Crazy / Night Life
7. Down Yonder
8. Me & Paul
9. Bloody Mary Morning
10. It’s All Going to Pot (Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard cover)
11. Help Me Make It Through the Night (Kris Kristofferson cover)
12. Jambalaya (On the Bayou) / Hey Good Lookin’ / Move It On Over (Hank Williams cover)
13. Georgia on My Mind (Hoagy Carmichael cover)
14. Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground
15. On the Road Again
16. Always on My Mind (Brenda Lee cover)
17. Shoeshine Man (Tom T. Hall cover)
18. Nuages (Django Reinhardt cover)
19. Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die
20. Living in the promise land
21. Will the Circle Be Unbroken? (A.P. Carter)
22. I’ll Fly Away (with Danny Clinch on Harmonica)